Eftin 500 tablet contains Cefuroxime axetil . It is acetoxyetyl-ester-prodrug of cefuroxime which is effective orally and it is a second generation cephalosporin. It is effective against wide range of bacteria and can cross blood brain barrier.
- Respiratory tract infection
- Urinary tract infections
- Skin and skin structure
- Bone and joint infections
250 to 500 mg orally twice a day
The drug produces its pharmacological action by inhibiting the cell wall synthesis, thus without bacterial cell wall, it causes cell death.
After oral administration the drug is absorbed from GI tract. The presence of food will increase the absorption of drug.
The drug is well distributed in the body 50% of the drug is bound to protein. The axetil moiety is metabolized in the presence of acetaldehyde and acetic acid.
The drug follows excretion through kidney
- Hypersensitivity to cephalosporin
- Rarely produces changes in kidney function
- Regular analysis of kidney function of patient should be done
- Prolong use of the drug can cause drug resistance
- Can cause nephrotoxicity